Not posted anything for a while after being distracted by various non horror TV shows and games so I set a poll on my Twitter page and Lights Out won as the next review I should post. I’d seen the trailer for this some time ago and have been looking forward to it for what seems like ages even though it’s probably only a couple of months. So here’s my thoughts on the new horror film……….
Director: David F. Sandberg
Writers: Eric Heisserer (screenplay), David F. Sandberg (based on the short film by)
Stars: Teresa Palmer, Gabriel Bateman, Maria Bello
- The small cast helps us to get to know the main four characters of the film.
- Surprisingly they managed to make the boyfriend of the sister pretty likable which is normally quite hard to do.
- There’s a creepy atmosphere whenever the darkness dwelling beastie appears, I mean you really would crap your pants if everytime you turned the light out there was something lurking and scratching the floor before attacking you.
- Teresa Palmer as the sister Rebecca is really good.
- Gabriel Bateman as the young brother Martin is fantastically convincing, he might be young but he’s already appeared in quite a few things and could turn into a very fine actor as he grows up.
- The effects may only be someone lurking the shadows but they are done real well.
- Although I liked the small cast it really does mean a very low kill count for the film.
- Stupid cops.
- The boyfriend is too lucky.
There’s not too much to dislike about this film even the bad points I’ve listed aren’t really that much of a big deal. This proves that there are still some very watchable horror films out there today despite people complaining that they don’t make them like they used to. If anything ghost/haunting type films are being done arguably better than ever. It’s also good for the horror genre to throw out some main stream(ish) films now and then. Overall this is really worth a watch, at just over 80 minutes it’s a quick movie with a simple storyline and a nice creepy atmosphere to the chasey type scenes. Go give it a watch!
Overall Score – 7.5/10
13 thoughts on “Lights Out (2016) Review”
I’ve been wanting to see this film since the trailer. Is it out on DVD already?
Nah, I managed to catch a late showing at the cinema 🙂
Well, I just checked my library, and it’s on order, so I’ll hopefully have it soon.
Let me know once you’ve got round to seeing it!
BTW, did I tell you I finally saw The Conjuring 2?
No, did you enjoy it?
Yeah, I lied it a lot. I mean, that 70’s London montage was pretty unnecessary, but other than that, I thought it was a very good sequel.
I preferred it to the first because it was set around a haunting I’d actually heard of before hand 🙂
Did you know that they’re planning a spin-off around the demon Valak? And that they might do a third involving werewolves? And of course, you’ve probably heard of the Annabelle sequel, right?
Didn’t know they were going to do that, werewolf one could be tricky
Well, technically it’s a demon who manifested itself as a werewolf, so maybe that makes it a bit easier.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I finally watched this movie and reviewed it. I liked it. It’s not one of my favorite horror films, but I liked it.