Not posted anything for a while after being distracted by various non horror TV shows and games so I set a poll on my Twitter page and Lights Out won as the next review I should post. I’d seen the trailer for this some time ago and have been looking forward to it for what seems like ages even though it’s probably only a couple of months. So here’s my thoughts on the new horror film……….
Director: David F. Sandberg
- The small cast helps us to get to know the main four characters of the film.
- Surprisingly they managed to make the boyfriend of the sister pretty likable which is normally quite hard to do.
- There’s a creepy atmosphere whenever the darkness dwelling beastie appears, I mean you really would crap your pants if everytime you turned the light out there was something lurking and scratching the floor before attacking you.
- Teresa Palmer as the sister Rebecca is really good.
- Gabriel Bateman as the young brother Martin is fantastically convincing, he might be young but he’s already appeared in quite a few things and could turn into a very fine actor as he grows up.
- The effects may only be someone lurking the shadows but they are done real well.
- Although I liked the small cast it really does mean a very low kill count for the film.
- Stupid cops.
- The boyfriend is too lucky.
There’s not too much to dislike about this film even the bad points I’ve listed aren’t really that much of a big deal. This proves that there are still some very watchable horror films out there today despite people complaining that they don’t make them like they used to. If anything ghost/haunting type films are being done arguably better than ever. It’s also good for the horror genre to throw out some main stream(ish) films now and then. Overall this is really worth a watch, at just over 80 minutes it’s a quick movie with a simple storyline and a nice creepy atmosphere to the chasey type scenes. Go give it a watch!
Overall Score – 7.5/10